With the advent of a whole new year in BD, the number of pvt tv-channels have started to rise like hell...similar things followed in the sect of daily soaps. There are literally thousands of daily soaps being shown in tv 24/7 (like the Web 2.0 rev, they are colourful , carefully choreographed and have a glossy/rounded finish) resulting in a new-age of entertainment and media-presentation of everything Bangladeshi and Bangali. But are they really depicting the actual life-style of about 80% of the country's population? In my view some are doing very well as they claim to be. But there are "ingie-thingies" tucked inside the Al-foil of these drama-serials which as per my AHEM! review doesn't really fit in with the kind of joy-ride a usual Bangladeshi goes through. Let us make haste to the Pros and Cons of daily-soaps in bd, shall we? Here goes:
- The OST's of the third-gen drama-serials are killer. Like Romijer Aina is so cool and appealing, it freezes your coronary sheath and lowers your cholesterol level down (ok, thats a damn lie).
- Acting has become less (remember, I said LESS..not that it has become extinct ) dependant on looking like Britney spears and more on looking natural, semi-black, highly-tanned (with MATIR JEWELARY) , exhausted, burnt up, goth and "OMG, its a girl".
- Use of language has become sour and down-to-earth. No more "O' Reginald.... Apni Khabar Pore Amake Golpo Suneben Kintu, Pleeeassee...", but instead "Khaisi/Porsi" is in vogue. Like "Aila, ki je khaisilam korbanir din...pet chaira dise". (and now there are **beeped** out swear words in shows like Rock-link too).
- They show feats like cat-fights, ladies hostel stealing , association and strategies regarding maid servants and complexions at educations institutions in vivid locomotion.
- These day's attires have become quite natural too (unlike "K"-type hindi serials which I puke on) . Like dimly dressed hostel-comrades in Labonnoprobha (believe me while on univ-hostel , either boys or ladies, you gotta dress like the Romans do. That naturally doesn't include wears from Calvin Cline or GAP) , joint-family members in 51 borti and so on.
- There are tons of more good stuff....but I can't remember em right now. Maybe an edit later would feature them.
- Nearly all daily-soaps feature excessively decorated hall-ways/living rooms full of furnitures from Otobi. I agree, some of their furnitures are so good that you wanna marry them, but they are also as high-priced as the great wall of china (wait..what?). Rarely does people in BD belonging to that 80% I mentioned before buy/use such expensive furnitures. I mean, yeah a curved and cozy sofa looks good.....when you are a Bangali Civil Engg that is.. not when you live in a ladies hostel that barely has enough to even house the tenants. There's also a staircase in the soap "Labonnoprobha" that is fit for King Ramsis the Great (yeah, thou who was kicked
in the assby Moses (a) ) , whereas "Labonnoprbha" depicts the hostel life of a few Miss and some secret Mrs-es.
- The use of chimes and techo-rhymes in some of the OSTs of these soaps is getting quite old. By that I mean crappy lyrics + few tweaks of the turn-table (amature DJ'ing) + Techno Effects. Like the OST of "Labonnoprobha", at first it seems like a good song. But they I tampered with it a bit, and lyrics like "Post koro amar thikanai, ami to jobabg dibo na" came out. I mean, how on earth can that be a lyrical composition? Hadn't it for those BG-effects, this song might have taken down "Labonnoprobha" (which is actually a very good and subtle daily soap, minus the negative aspects) with it to oblivion.
- And lastly..the worst thing that can be done to a Bangla-daily soap....its ATN BANGLA. Come 4 times a year near the British Council in Fuller Road, and you can see how shitty the take of a "bangla-natok" can be..I mean really (but, hey ROCK LINK in ATN is pretty damn good, and liquidexplosion looks slender in there....nah, I'm kidding)
Well, thats about it..what do you think? Do you think my wisecracking bore and resemblance to the reality of entertainment in BD? Anyhow... here are some stuff that might interest people who dwell in LJ.
- Lj now has sub-domains available for every user (free or paid). It means no more "http://livejournal.com/user/damn_this_
shit_is_long" kinda web-address. Instead there's cute shorties like "http://duh.livejournal.com" now.
- Congratulations : Overseas Bangladeshis send home record 4.1 bln dlrs in 2005 (damn, thats a pretty phat revenue gain for tEh economy. Up your's Saifur Rahman and one "late" finance minister). Thanks for working your cellulites off and for sending the hard-earned money to your ailing relatives over at home.
- Download Priyotoma by Rupankar and listen to it.. seemed good to me.. dunno if anyone else will like it or not.
- Pray for a certain People's Republic of BD , for the 2006 election is near and the present situation involving pussy-fights between PhD lauret scholars is dire. Oh, wait...what the fuck am I talking about. Prayer won't resolve thee...for it is a mindless battle of techocrats and politicians who knows not of real life....hee hee.